The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
joehalford01

worth?

I'm not selling mine, just curious on what you guys would think a particular truck is worth. I don't have any pics but i can give a good description. First: The sellers description over the phone: $700, runs great, needs some "electrical" work and a tune up, otherwise very driveable, long bed, it's a 66.....i asked about rust-he said none , just needs a paint job, and the motor is original.

So i get there......first thing i notice.....fifties short gmc step side bed all rusty as heck......(it is a long bed truck though, there's about a foot of frame sticking out behind the bed), trailer lights on the bumper for rear tailights, full of garbage , serious rust on the rear cab supports and all four corners of the cab toast...., rust eating through the bottom of the doors and overall-a nice rusty patina covering every square inch of the underside, underhood, etc. The spark plug wires were all jacked up and he used masking tape to keep them from arcing......, despite the spark plug wires, the crack head wiring all over under the hood, lack of any kind of air filter or fuel filter, and the cracked rubber hose strung up as fuel line; the thing started on the first crank. It was missing but most likely the spark plug wires i would think. He says it's the original motor and transmission, that seems plausible since there is a one barrel carb on it and the oil fill on the intake manifold. It's a four speed as well. Also no bench seat, a couple old whatever seats from the junkyard. I did notice that the gauges worked which was cool. Then i asked him about the 2004 tags (i didn't mention he said everything was current on the phone ). He said his niece had the title for him and he could get it for me, that he never put it in his name, but the guy he bought it from said it was non-op, yeah right. Anyways, I declined his offer to hold the truck for a deposit and got the vin so i could run it at the dmv. Assuming it checks out and i could register it for less then $500, what you guys think?

He said he would come down to $600, but i'm starting to think $500 or less if the dmv fees are ridiculous. I did like that the gauges worked, and it seemed sound mechanically. As far as the bed is concerned, I have an extra longbed I can put on it, so no biggie there, as well as all the stuff laying around for the ignition. All I've got planned for it is work truck status right now, but i don't know if it would even be worth it with that much rust on the cab. give me your opinions, or laugh at me for the hour of my life i will never get back from the crack heads house .
joehalford01 is offline   Reply With Quote