The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
smh292

Truck Overheated Today

I was driving my truck today for about 30 minutes and I started to hear a little noise under the hood. When I stopped at a light I saw steam coming from under the hood. I pulled over and shut the truck off but it continued "dieseling" for about 10 seconds until I put it in reverse to stall it out. I popped the hood and everything has antifreeze all over it. It looked like the overflow container lid blew off and that is where it spewed from. I let it sit and cool, then I refilled the radiator and when I tried to start the truck, it made a bit of a weird noise while it cranked. I tried turning the key a few times and it cranked like this, but then it stopped cranking at all. After I let it sit for about another 1/2 hr I put the gas pedal to the floor and cranked it and it fired up and I limped home. Once I was home I let it cool down and then a couple hrs later when I went to pull it in my garage it seems to still make a weird noise when I turn the key. It still started though. I guess my question is, did I mess anything up and how can I check? Once the truck is running, it sounds fine.

The truck is a 1971 C-10 longbed with a 350 4 barrel and an auto tranny. About 2 months ago I had a leak in the radiator so I replaced the radiator, hoses, and thermostat. I also added an overflow container. Before it just had a tube that dumped down on the ground. The new rad did not have a second hole for the heater hose so I connected that to the plug on the water pump. Could the overflow tank be the problem? How bout the new location for the heater hose?

I have driven the truck on weekends for the past 2 months and haven't had a problem till today. I guess I should definitely flush the system and add the proper water/antifreeze mix again. Any help is appreciated.