The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
1966-Suburban-V-8

Thumbs up Better than Free Suburban!

After reading the posts of the freebie Suburban I finally got my clearance to post. I am also a new Suburban convert and I've got a 1965 Riviera too.
I'm constantly cruising CraigsList, and this time it paid off.
Posted with NO pics was a 1966 Suburban $800- I quickly made arrangements to check it out and was very surprised to see a pretty decent recent runner. Last on the road only 4 years ago. Guy was brokering it for a friend that had moved away, so he only knew a little about it, but did show me that the steering wheel was not connected to the steering box! He also said he could not get it started with a new battery he had.
Well, long story short, this is my new 'Burban at my shop.

Someone didn't torque the steering coupler spline bolt tight enough and it ate out the inside splines - easy fix with a nice one from the yard for $5. I got it started after tightening connections and putting in a known good battery. Now she starts, runs, turns and stops like she should -
Took about 2 hours of playing around to net a fine cruiser. She still needs lots of details done, but I'm quite happy with it.
The Previous owner added the earlier grille, I kinda like it, but I've got a '66 grill to fix up and customize a bit before giving it a try.

Dan
1965 Riviera 425 - Luxury Muscle - Fully Factory Loaded. All power, A/C, Custom Interior, Guidematic Dimmer, AM/FM - etc, etc
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo - Factory Sport Model - Quick steering, F-41 HD suspension, Positraction, Tele Wheel.
1966-Suburban-V-8 is offline   Reply With Quote