The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
old Chevy guy

Unhappy 4x4 Engine swap problems!need help!!!!

Im doing an engine swap on a 84? 4x4 k20 both motors are carberated small block 350 4 barrell moters. the doner motor came from a 86 c10 pickup but I think it may not be the right motor that came with that truck,so the year of that moter is undetermined. Anyway here is the problem. the dip stick is on the drivers side of the new motor.Passengers side of the old one. The drivers side exaust manifold is shaped in such a way that it makes it impossible to put the dipstick tube into the block.The manifolds that came with the truck each have a air pump inlet tube that splits into 4 individual tubes for each cylinder.I dont care if I have to leave the air pump off to use diffrent manifolds . Does the truck use that shape manifold because its 4x4 or could I use diffrent ones from a 2 wheel drive,is the y pipe diffrent for 2 wheel drive? or mabey a diffrent year 4x4 has diffrent manifold,has anyone run into this before?Is there an oil pan from something else that the stick goes into the pan and not the block? The truck belongs to my brother inlaw who Im sorry to say is a huge dumba**. He cant seem to keep water and oil in a motor under the best of conditions and will surely blow this one up without a dipstick. does anyway have any advice?I really dont want to use headers.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote