The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Truck Value/Fuel Prices

I see alot of reference by members to the wonderful fuel prices we`ve been greedily graced with making it hard to get sell or get good money for our trucks.I disagree.There have been fuel consumption concerns for over 30 years and minimum mileage requirements increasing every so many years.In the`70s great American cars could be had for dirt cheap while owners went out and bought econoboxes.With each major price increase we are traumatized,then get used to it.Now,this thread isn`t about fuel prices or whether we`ll ever get used to these prices.It`s definately way past a "get used to it" price,there`s no argument it is a world changing event.
What my point is...who`s buying these trucks for economy?How many are bought for daily drivers or sole transportation?I`ve been running mine somewhat daily in spring summer and fall for many years.But,with present fuel prices,I see myself plotting my driving more,thinking twice about running around,and maybe just using them less.But,I don`t have anything newer that gets any crazy-good mileage anyway.The fuel prices may be effecting late model gas-guzzler resale values,but I don`t see any change in desire to own what we like.I`ve always said,"If I lived somewhere that won`t rust my truck I wouldn`t need a late model."If I lived where driving a 67-72 daily was possible without ruining the body,I`d be looking to work closer to home.We can`t all do that,but that`s what my solution would be.I can`t believe I`ve spent so many years living where I had to stop running trucks in the winter.If it were up to me,my location would be based around being able to just run old stuff.That`ll finally change,I hope.
I just see these trucks sitting/resting more.But desire not residing at all`except for the relatively few that use these trucks as their sole transportation.Heck,if I lived in Arizona of other sunbelt state,I`d just spend more time running my Harley whenever I didn`t need to carry much of anything.That would be my enjoyable way of "averaging out" the expense.
We see guys swapping-in late model running gear and increasing fuel economy to comparable to anything new.It can get expensive.But,not as much as what a new truck costs that will decrease to 1/2 the sticker price before it ever begins to age.I expect to see more upgrading in the future.Cuz we really want to drive these trucks and no stinkin`oil baron is gonna take that away!!!!!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-02-2008 at 01:48 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote