The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
83burban

62 Frame off Resto

Hey everybody, been on the board for a little while now and have learned tons about these old trucks. I figured that I would share my project with everybody and while I am at it get some questions answered. I am doing a frame off, nut and bolt restoration of a 62 C20.

The truck was originally a 62 C20 that I gutted and stripped only to find a bent frame, tons of shody fab-work, some rust in the roof and the pillar, and lots of body work needed.

I started to look for a donor truck to replace the torsion bars and frame. I found a 64 C10 with tons of factory options and for only 250 it seemed like a hell of a deal. It came with factory power steering, power brakes, and auto trans cross-member. The frame is in great shape and from what I have read some pretty rare factory options.

The plans for the build are this:
1) 4.5 inch drop front, 5 in the rear
2) Disc brakes front, Drum rear...keep it six lug to keep stock wheels
3) Keep power assist steering and power brakes
4) Keep the interior looking stock, but fixed up with custom cab options
6) Lava Orange, Creme accents and roof, Artillery style rims and white-wall tires
7) 454 (eventually 496) backed by a th400 and a 12 bolt

Questions:
1) I have read (and measured) all the cab mount locations and they are different between the two frames. I know that my body will not bolt up, so can I just cut the old body mounts off of the 62 frame and put them on the 64 frame, or will they still be off? The rear lines up if memory serves right. The bed is taken care of, since I will use the cross-supports from the 64 instead of the 62.

I attached a couple pictures of the donor truck frame. I hope to have this done in 4 months - and will update the thread as I go along. Thanks for all the help guys.
Attached Images

Last edited by 83burban; 07-08-2008 at 02:40 AM.
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote