The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
62 C60

Attn. Gearing Guru's

Let me start by saying, I dont exactly know how to word this so that its not as confusing as a Japaneses matrix.

But, I figure your 4x4 guys would know a little something about this even if its for a 2wd vehicle. Anyway, I was thinking today that if someone were to take 2 4spd transmissions and mount one of them backwards would this essentially transform them from an under drive (anything under direct is a under drive IMO) to an over drive? Then leave the backwards trans in 4th (now in the 1st position) which is a direct 1:1 then once you get the forward facing trans into 4th shift the other into 3rd (now in the 2nd position) giving you a .57% OD (SM465) I know you would have to either A. have some LOOOOW gears, or redline the motor before shifting. Then if you really wanted to haul some tail, pull into 2nd(3rd position) and maybe even 1st (4th position)(5.55% OD HOLY FREAKING SH!T!! that would take balls of steel and then some.)

I know this wouldn't be piratical on a DD with something like, 3.73's and 33's BUT This idea came to me when thinking about a cheep way to have OD in the C60 I'm building that currently has a 261 6cyl and a 2spd axle with something like 5.56, and 8.xx gears in it and 39" tires. Those 5.56's arnt enough.

then for reverse, you could put the front trans in any gear (assuming its the normal one) and the other in reverse if you need LOW gears, or just put them both in reverse and double the reverse ratio, or just leave the front one in direct 1:1 4th gear (assuming its the normal one again)

I have seen people take the range box from a NP203 and run it backwards as an OD and it worked fine. Thats what inspired this madness.

So, essentially you would have 2 transmissions and the shift pattern would be something like this.

Yeah I know, stop being cheep and just buy an OD unit, but hey, its my money not yours, so why do you care?

Your thoughts on this?
Exterior- Rust
1993 Full Size Blazer 4x4 Stock for now.

If you have a truck everyone is your friend. When they need to move.

Last edited by 62 C60; 05-11-2008 at 04:17 AM.
62 C60 is offline   Reply With Quote