The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
chevy72blu

Opinions on the issue holding my build?

Ok, my truck is in my parents garage 300 miles away from me while I am going to school. I only get a few weekends here or there back home and I rarely get an oportunity to work on my 72. Summer classes start the second of June and I plan on spending about 2 weeks back home with as much time as I can with my truck.

72 SWB, 496 BBC hot street/strip, TH350.

Electric fan fitment. I modified a pair of 73-87 frame towers for my BBC and installed the motor between the 2 sets of holes for a little more weight transfer, and moved the trans X member back that much to accommodate. It has a single piece drive shaft that I had made for it several years ago, and the slip shaft is pretty much at its limit as far as how much further I can push the motor back. The donor block I bought came with all long water pump accessories (Alt, crank pulley) and I had to buy a LWP BBC PS bracket on ebay for 60 bucks. I am using a Griffin aluminum 2 core with Flexalite 4.5" thick 4600 cfm dual electric fan. Its been a while since I looked at it, but it seems that I am about a 1/2" off from sliding the fans in. Here are my options, what do you think I should go with?
a) Sell my brand new (installed) Edelbrock aluminum victor long water pump, brand new PS pump bracket, alt bracket, and crank pulley(they are different between long and short WP's, right), and exchange it all for short stuff (it wasnt easy to find that long bracket, are the shorts easier?).
b) I have since bought the correct 72 frame towers from a board member and im going to install them in a few days. Because the 73-87 towers made the motor sit so high and at an angle, I think the correct ones will take the edge of the situation. Move the motor as far back as possible (it seems like I have at least another 1/2", the X member back to accommodate, and shorten my drive shaft.
c) the most extreme, but cheapest; cut out quite a bit of the radiator support, bend a tube for the upper part of it and move the radiator as much as I need further towards the grill
d) Sell my brand new fans and buy a thinner setup. I can post the motor specs if you like (or check my build thread), but I have been told that I need at least 4500 cfm to cool it appropriately in the Vegas heat. I cant find many fans that pull that much air especially thin ones. I really want to stick with the electric setup if at all possible.

Thanks guys! Im really looking forward to getting home and working on it (and possibly meeting a board member)

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e

Last edited by chevy72blu; 05-14-2008 at 11:00 PM.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote