The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
sweatmachine

newbie intro, Austin TX, family heirloom truck!

Greetings from Austin, Texas! My name is Jeff, and I just got a 1978 "Heavy Half" Longbed w. 110,000 original miles. Here is its story:

My grandfather (RIP) bought this truck brand-new in 1978. It was the last vehicle he owned.

My grandfather (my mom's father) served in WW2 as a machinist's mate and later went on to own his own machine shop. He remained in the Navy reserves through the rest of his life, and (very long story very short) fell ill about the same time I was born. I remember him walking, but once I was about 5-6 years old he was bedridden. He died when I was 16 of complications from a concussion (fell from his wheelchair, very sad story).

Fast forward to present day. I just got home from a Memorial Day lake trip, freshly sunburned, and I get an email from my uncle (my mom's brother). He said he's taken care of my grandfather's truck since 1980 (when my grandfather was last able to drive), maintained it, etc, and just bought a new truck, and that he has no use for it anymore but would rather see it go to a family member than sell it. The truck is in perfect running condition, even the a/c works (and has been converted to modern coolant). It's a 350 V-8 w/ a new 4 barrel carb and a new cam.

I said I'm not in a position to buy a vehicle, but I'd love to have it for sentimental reasons, along with the fact that I'm about to remodel a house with my future-father-in-law (a house I plan to buy from him), so between the move and the remodel of the house, the truck would come in very handy. He said, "well, I was hoping you'd want it, and I'd like to get $1 for it."

Yes, one dollar!

Anyway, it ain't pretty, but it belonged to my grandfather, and I remember being a little kid looking at it thinking it was the coolest truck in the world. Talking with my uncle about the ol' truck brought back a flood of memories I hadn't revisited in many many years. Needless to say, today was better than Christmas morn' to me. I'm picking up the truck next weekend and I can't wait to restore it to its former glory. I'm very excited about having this old truck:

I have big plans for it. I've been wanting an old single cab long bed truck for a long time, and I can't wait to get my hands (and wrenches) on this one.

I plan on doing the bodywork and restoring the interior first, as it is mechanically sound right now. I also want to drop it 2-3", and then do some engine mods.

Nice forum y'all have here, I'm glad to be on it!
sweatmachine is offline   Reply With Quote