The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
phishfud

Any electrical guys out there?

Just had a problem with my 84 K10 yesterday. I had pulled the battery out to use in another car, and upon putting it back in the truck, and starting it up, I saw smoke by the junction box on the firewall. There is a wire coming off the j-block, that ggoes into a fusible link, and splits into two red wires. The two red wires are fine (one to alt, the other to light swtch, according to the FSM), but from the link to the j-block the wire is melted and broke. The alternator was smokin hot, after only less than 30 seconds or so of running, and the volt meter in the dash showed it charging at 18 volts. I did a serpentine conversion a while back, and added a CS-130 alt. I have been running this setup since proabably last August with no issues. Is it possible the alt went bad, causing the overcharging issue, and burning out the wire, or should I be looking at something else. Gonna take the alt to get tested, but thought someone may have a clue as to what happened. Thanks for any help.
Terry
88 GTA 350 Auto
94 Cherokee
phishfud is offline   Reply With Quote