The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
ryan_long_01

New Here...Should I Buy This Truck?

Hey guys,

I'm a 28 year old graphic designer in Indianapolis, and I've been wanting one of these trucks for years now. I currently daily-drive a 10-year-old BMW M3 Coupe, but I've had a couple of trucks in the past, including an 88 Ford Ranger with a V8 swap (289 from a Fairlane).

Anyway, right now I've managed to get together $1000 to spend on a truck, and I've been looking for something that runs and drives with a body in decent structural condition (rusty rockers expected, but not too much else beyond surface rust). I've looked at a couple of trucks that I've found on craigslist, but both of them have had really rusty bedsides, etc.

The truck I'm currently looking at is a '69 Chevy with a 283 and 3 speed manual on the floor. The truck runs and drives well, according to the seller, and he actually bought it as a parts truck for his '71 -- he was going to use the engine and trans. Rocker panels are obviously rusty (pretty common around here unless you are ready to spend a lot of money on a truck), but other than that it looks like mostly surface rust.

I haven't seen this truck in person yet, just talked on the phone and email. I wanted to get opinions here before pulling the trigger, though. Seller is asking $800 for the truck, not sure how flexible he is but I'm sure he'll come down at least a little.

Basically, I'd like to have a truck to drive around as needed, but I want to do a slow, low-buck resto/cleanup as money and time allow. This won't ever be a show truck, more like a shop logo on the side (remember, I'm a graphic designer -- it's right up my alley!) or a satin black garage paint job.

So, what do you guys think...is the truck worth $800? Good starting point for a budget project? All feedback appreciated...I've never done a project like this before!

Thanks guys,

Ryan
ryan_long_01 is offline   Reply With Quote