The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Psycho71

Unhappy Insurance ???'s for my '71 C-10

Well, I'm just about done with the first phase of my build on my '71. And now I need to insure her so I get get her back on the road legally. I'm not building a "show truck" by any means. It will always be used as a truck. But I am doing a custom interior, and adding some mods here and there.

We've all read the stories on here, or know someone who had the misfortune of needing their insurance company to step up, and they get the low-balled by the bluebook value on their truck. Which I know even at the point I am now, I would get hosed if I were forced to accept.

I've always carried insurance thru Geico, and never had a complaint with their services. But they will only write me a standard policy, which will revert to "book" values. I called Hardy (correction Haggerty) Collector Insurance, and they'll be more than happy to write me just the policy I need, but won't allow me to use the truck for ANY hauling or towing. I asked them, "what about an antique teardrop trailer?" She said, "we can insure the truck, and the trailer, you just can't haul the trailer with the truck." Makes absolutely no sense to me! But I guess I'm just too practical sometimes.

I drive a company truck all week at work, and will only use my 71 on weekends for playing, to haul the boat back and forth to the lake, and to go on hunting trips.

Sorry about the novel here fellas.....So what do I do? I need a policy that is somewhere between one that reflects book values, and an all out show-truck. But I still need to be able to use my truck, as a TRUCK. Any help in the area is greatly appreciated.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 06-06-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote