The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Rokcrln

Got Dice!

My one weak point in fabrication is tig welding. I just don't take enough time to practice and with tig it is practice that will get you good. So I figured why not play and practice at the same time so today I decided to start with the easy stuff Aluminum I am putting LowBuck in a car show on Sunday over in Woodland and thought a set of dice hanging from the rear view mirror would add a nice touch. So I found a sheet of Alum in the back bay and sliced up (6) 4" squares, punched some 3/4" holes and went at it. The weld's were ok but not real great then I found out from a friend that has my same tig machine that the tungsten I have is for steel and for alum I need 100% tungsten. May be that is why it was not working as smooth as it should. On Saturday I am going to make another one out of Stainless Steel and hang them both from the rear view (once I get their) just for the show. My wife has already called dibs on this one for her desk at work for a 1-6 pencil holder

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-07-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote