The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
KMK454

Truck Update, with Pictures

Had a few things done to the truck...

Rebuilt Carb - turns out the carb had a vacuum leak, so it was rebuilt
Plugs / Wires - Just something nice to freshen up
Tuned Carb - Doesn't run so rich anymore
Oil and Tranny pan seals along with new fluids for both - stopped the small leak
Installed manifolds with new exhaust - old headers had a leak at the block, were rusty, and the old exhaust was rusty and leaky. Had a set of flowmasters put on based on how they sound on a friend's truck; well, wrong choice, in a week or so something really quiet will go on in their place

The truck runs nicer and is a little more agreeable, and also doesn't smell like burning raw fuel at a stoplight anymore! Once I get some really quiet mufflers on, it'll be just right.

The A/C is still dead, just missing its fluid. Talked to an A/C guy and he's going to compare the cost of converting to 134a versus just recharging the R12, since it seems that's all it needs...

And here are the pictures... notice no more exhaust poking out awkwardly from behind the truck:

Only real changes here are the wires, plugs, and manifolds. Those extra bolts were sealed off:

Here's a picture of the exhaust dumps. Bigger mufflers will be going in shortly to calm down the resonance:

I love how no exhaust poking out cleans up the back end. Note the two brown streaks on the left corner of the bumper; after I blew the transmission up in my 'vette, I was furious for a few days, and lost focus while backing up. Those brown marks are from hitting a telephone pole at ~2MPH while parking. D'oh! No other damage:

Passed 24k miles the other day...

The truck is now my daily driver since the 'vette is off in MA with my family. In a few weeks I'll be out of here for Afghanistan, so my family will be taking the truck for the next year as well. They're more than happy to take care of it. Until then I'm enjoying the ride... love these trucks!
1991 Camaro B4C
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote