The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Engine Build...

I’m gearing up to do some engine work on the dually and I would like to get a few opinions.

Basically, I want something hotter than your average one ton 454, but still perform reliably “as a truck”. In other words, I don’t want to build a cam’d up, stroked monster motor that’s so radical, it fails as a good towing/hauling motor.

I know that when you start doing these types of mods, that fuel mileage decreases are inherent, but I’m hoping the NV4500 that I plan to swap in will negate any reduction in fuel mileage on the highway. At any rate, try to keep “decent” fuel mileage in mind. When it’s all said and done with the motor & trans, I’d like to be able to get around 15 mpg.

I was thinking intake, cam and carb, but I’m basically lost on the specifics of those items. I know Edelbrock sells those “kits” that have the intake, cam & carb that are supposedly matched for performance, but I’m not sure that the kit they sell for the big blocks would be the best bet for this application.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and it’s a California truck, so everything needs to be 50 state legal.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote