The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
mercman1951

Dropped my GMC...FINALLY!

Hi All,

I finally got my truck back after over a month: my buddy Gary is a mechanic and has access to a lift, and he agreed to install this kit on the side for me. He never did anything like this before, but I think he did a great job. He's very meticulous. Took a lot of leg work for parts on my end, and we finally got the right combo of calipers/pins (3 sets!), but I am fairly pleased with the results. Wheel refurbishing and some new shoes are next. Bodywork comes later.

Here's what it got:

McGaughy's Suspension Parts 2.5" Dropped Spindles
McGaughy's Suspension Parts 4.0" Shackle drop kit
New BelTech NITRO II shocks out back
New HD rotors
New HD bearing set
New hoses
New pads
New HD calipers

His questions were "were those wheels off a Suburban or something?" (They rub a bit when you hold the wheel over almost all the way, and the wheel weights on the inside of the rims-- he had to remove for clearance. They hit the spindles.) "What do I do with the brake hoses? Bend them?" (Yes.) "These pins don't contact the back of the caliper mounts, are there longer ones? (According to most, no...but the third set of "loaded calipers" I bought (Wagoners) had the right length bolts, but those calipers couldn't be used with the rotors. The front brakes became a nightmare!)

I like the stance for a static drop, but I think the rear still needs a bit more. What do you think/opinions?
Attached Images