The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

These things are like stray dogs....

So I'm posting this here b/c it does relate to our trucks somewhat. I was going to Nate Porter's shop to pick up the bag setup for my '67. Before I left, I decided to browse CL. Just happened to see a post about a '71 Burb for sale. Well, guess what's sitting in my driveway at the moment? 67-72's (any of them) are just like stray dogs. I wanna bring em all home and love them.

I must say the trip home was "FUN." Brakes were almost non-existent. No turn signal lever, and I couldn't get anything to stay in there to use temporarily. No mirrors except for a smashed one on the PS. No shocks on the back, as in there were none there. Bouncy-bouncy-bouncy. No tags. Got it 20 miles down the road before the tranny(?) gave out. Reverse still works though... (And yes, I actually thought about driving it home like that for a minute ) Went to hook it up to my '99 and tow it home, but the front right tire decided to let go as we were looking for a good spot to attach the tow strap. Found a U-Haul 2 blocks down... they were a service center and didn't rent. And apparently Burbs are too big to use any of their trailers/dollies. The guy inside was nice and called me a tow truck buddy of his. On the way home, the DS door decided to open up and now has about a 6 inch crease in it. But it's in my driveway and ready to be loved again.

Now except for all of the crap that I found wrong with it on my 20 mile ride, there are some positives. It fires right up. So quiet I can't even tell it's running. It is also rust-free as far as I can tell so far. All of the problem areas are clean as a whistle. Someone did primer it very poorly at some point over the original paint job, but I couldn't find any repairs or bondo. (So far at least!) It looks worse than it is in the pics b/c of the original green showing through some of the primer. There is some damage on the DS lower panel, the PS rear wheel well and now the DS door. I'm sure as time goes on I will find lots of other things wrong with it. But for now I'm a happy camper.

As for the interior, except for the destroyed dash pad and front mat, and other minor missing stuff, it looks pretty nice for it's age. Nothing a little elbow grease and some Simple Green can't fix. The rear seat looks like it was never even used. The middle seat has a small tear in it and the front seat looks like it may have been recovered. (It is a different pattern than the other two seats.) All of the interior chrome pieces are there and look good, and I guess that's the original radio in it.

Time will tell if I decide to keep her, b/c for right now my '67 is priority. So here's a couple of crappy pics for you to enjoy!
Attached Images

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado

Last edited by Riveted1; 06-18-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote