The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
Rooster's82

Re: Pinging...still haven't figured it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
To exactly what spec? You may still need to retard it a bit. Once the pinging starts, it creates heat...that just makes it worse.

Second, the heat spike is coming from the pinging. Once it starts, is just grows upon itself. A lower temperature thermostat will not do anything. The thermostat is just the "switch" that "turns on" the cooling system. Once it is open, everything is based upon the efficiency of the rest of the system. This means not only the flow of the coolant, but over all heat exchange. The fan may be moving air, but is has to be removing heat with that air. If the fins are blocked of air, no much actual cooling happens either.

I am thinking that this is still an issue of the combination of timing and cooling efficiency....but lean carburetion can be a factor too. What carburetor are you running?
I am running a 600cfm edelbrock. I do have it set pretty lean.

What do you mean..."the fins are blocked or air"? What about adding some "ice" additive to the coolant?

I do think it is a timing issue...the more i look into it the more it seems that i need to retard the timing a little. I am going to barrow a timing light tonight...which direction do i turn the distributor in order to retard the timing?

If you can't find it at the junk yard you don't need it.
Rooster's82 is offline   Reply With Quote