The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
jfortner

Need help with locker

So I am not sure what is going on so any help would be appreciated.

I have a 71 K5 and put in a Detroit locker in the rear. Used RedLine Gear oil for it. It is a 12 bolt and has a rear disk conversion kit on it as well.

The orginal issue was it seemed to be locking and unlocking all the time and was locked up alot. I added the friction modifer (one tube) the other day and this got much better. But I am still having an issue.

When I am turning corners everything seems to be acting normally except when I push in on the clutch (as I am turning) it sounds like the transfer case is banging into the floor boards. It isn't and I am sure it is a combination of u-joint slop, and transfer case slop but it is like the system is binding up and then releasing again. And it just does that until I stop, turn the wheels straight, or let the clutch back out.

Is this normal? If not what is going on and how do I get rid of it before I tear up something?

I heard adding a second tube of friction modifer may help, but am leary of trying that as the instructions clearly state not to over add.

HELP...

Thanks John
jfortner is offline   Reply With Quote