The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

I'm a first time color sander. Help!

sorry for posting this here, but i need some question answered and this forum gets viewed much more than the paint and body forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm jumping in head first today. i've started color sanding my truck. it was painted the weekend before memorial day with a BC/CC. When we shot it, we only used a gallon of clear. we were able to get 3 coats out of that gallon (we had 3 coats in mind, but never put thought to that being pretty thin), but i know that probably means the clear is pretty thin.

with that said, i'm using 2000 grit, and am planning to go over that with meguiars fine-cut cleaner #2, then if needed, meguiars machine glaze. I will be using a foam pad for both. on the scale thing on the bottle, the cleaner is shown as a #5 cut, and the glaze as a #1 cut.

my question is, what should the clear look like after color sanding? because the clear was sprayed faster than it should have been on my truck, i have a good amount of orange peel. I've sanded down one fender, and will go take some pics of it and post here. In some parts i have gotten it completely smooth. in others spots, you can still see high and low spots in the clear, aka, the peel.

considering i still plan to go over it with a variable speed buffer, should i get those spots smooth too? should i not worry about getting everything smooth?

i am being very careful not to go through the clear. I'm constantly checking my paper to see if there is any red.

anyways, your comments would be greatly appreciated.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote