The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
haus
MMMM Ramen!

please allow me to introduce myself

fair warning, this is a bit long.

i've been a lurker for quite a while now, time to come out of the shadows i reckon.
here's a little background - i've liked these trucks for a good while, then a few years back, i found me a 72 c10 longbed and i was happy. the guys at work teased and told me i looked like uncle jesse from the dukes of hazzard, but i didn't care - i had my truck. then add two or three years and a couple kids, and the pickup just wouldn't fit everbody. so after much negotiating with "the boss" (and using the kids as a selling point), i got a 72 k5 so that "we could all fit in it" now i was really tickled. but unfortunately, things happen as they do, and my work threw me to the other side of the globe... i had plans to hold on to that ole blazer, but when the time came and ends needed to meet, both trucks got sold. someone might as well kicked my puppy and pissed in my cherios. so i vowed, i would get another blazer and hang on to it for dear life. (if i make this into a movie, this is where it will fade out, lol) i searched and searched. my dad pitched in too. when we found one that looked solid and was within price and driving range, we snatched it up.

so here's what we got - 70 k5, gm goodwrench 350, hei, headers, newer dual exhaust, rebuilt th350, posi 12 bolt, warn lockouts, 4 inch lift on 33 inch yokohamas, drum brakes on all corners, a/c (minus a few parts), clear marker lenses...

solid body to start with, rockers are fried, 2-3 holes otherwise and that's about all the bad stuff as far as i can tell right now. looks like the frame was cleaned and painted once, double wall top that needs some work, all 3 seats in good shape - cracks in vinil but straight otherwise, and the fella even threw in a soft top.

so here's how it went down... first thing i need is to make sure it's road worthy. it had a couple busted wheel studs (from trying to get it on the trailer / swapping skinny tires), so i got replacements and what better time to check the brakes? got those things done, and i got to wondering about this soft top on the back floor....
so i start to look it over. it looks pretty good, just some dust, no tears or scratches... hmmm, where's a tag or printed name or identifying feature... ah, here we go - STC... and i said, "dad, i think we just hit the lottery." once i got to digging and asking and reading, i figured out the thing is a fasttrac. well, now i have to see if i have all the parts. right?

i put the windows in too, but it was too dark to get a good picture by then...

so here's my plans, disc brakes, replace a/c parts that aren't there, paint. drive and enjoy. it's gonna take a few years, since i only get to work on it when i come in for vacation, but i hope to have it ready to go anywhere by the end of my tour.
eventually, i hope to go all out with it, but for now, i just want to be able to enjoy it.

thanks for listening.

- 1970 chevy blazer
haus is offline   Reply With Quote