The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

plasma cutter questions

so, while working on my frame, i can't tell you how many times i've told myself..."damn, i could really use a plasma cutter". i've even said it about things around the house.

i gotta ask: if you are only going to use your plasma cutter a couple dozen times, do you really need to spend 4x as much on a name brand, or can you just buy a "decent enough" import brand that has a "generally acceptable" quality rating?

i ask, because i started looking around. it's tough to get a 220v cutter for less than $1k. i found these Hobart 110v refurb units for $600 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-AIRFORCE-...QQcmdZViewItem

i found these imported units (that actually use good name-brand MOSFETs) for around $400 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVERLAST-CUT50D-...QQcmdZViewItem

(there are a couple from this seller)

i am curious to get feedback from you guys and gals because, well, i trust your opinion. literally - i am only going to use it to cut on my frame, which is what, 3/16" mild steel?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 08-05-2008 at 11:37 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote