The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Irishpilot

trouble starting new 406

Hey all, I'm having an issue trying to start my new 406. It has 10.6 compression, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, street demon 770 carb, HEI. I have set the initial static timing at 12 degrees BTDC. I figure this was a good starting place due to the high compression. Anyways, the engine is really hard to start and when it does it only runs for 15-20 seconds. When it does run it sounds good, with no backfiring or roughness, so it makes me think that the timing is good enough. So I'm thinking it is a fuel issue, but I've checked the carb, and gas is going into the bowls. Any ideas?? I need to get this engine fired up so I can break in the cam. Thanks!!
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote