The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
67mater

67/72 K20 Rusty build

So I haven't been keeping very good track, but I am in the midst of a frame of build of what was a 67 4x4. This was orginally an Illinois Dept of Transportation plow truck, and it had the rust to prove it. I still have the plow and mounting system but will be going to a modern style of plow mount and hydraulics. i have attached all the before pictures of the 67 i have and will have up to date shots up tonight.

I nearly have my late model HD spring swap done at this point (on powder coated frame, 56" springs using custom fabbed mounts front and rear; some I designed, some from DIY4X) and will begin working on the cab next. I have searched a lot on this site up to this point and for everyone's benefit I am going to document the resurrection of this cab/truck. For those faint of heart or paranoid of rust; turn away now; this won't be pretty. I have no prior experience and minimal training (grandpa and uncle on welding a bit and just the hard way so far) so everyone pay attention and see what can be with courage and a McGyver attitude. Also, I'm a tight as so this is being done on a tight budget, improving when possible and splurging when worthwhile, but this is a work truck not a show truck, so you'll see function over form here.

So far I have taken a rusty 72 GMC cab that had rockers and galvanized corners riveted and bondoed over rusted garabage and put it on a rack (it's actually better than the 67 was). I cut the small window out of the 67 before I scrapped it and have it fabbed into the 72. It needs final welding, but its in place. I did all of that with a 110v fluxcore welder. my uncle is letting me borrow a MIG if I pay to haev the bottle filled, so the rest should be done with that welder. I ordered all the patch panels I'd need (Tri-plus panels from a board vender; Muszclerodz) and will take shots as I go. Hopefully they fit, hopefully I can keep it all square. i have the 67 doors bolted in place to check fit. They lay like garbage, but they prove the opening are square, so I will measure, mark and brace before I start cutting (betetr safe than sorry). Please make suggestions as I go because I'm really diving off the deep end.

oh, and the 72 cab came with the truck so I feel I got nothing to lose but my pride and it wouldn't be the first time! So come along and let's see how a true novice goes!!!!
Attached Images

1967 K10
1967 Camaro
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote