The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2003, 12:01 PM   #1
guyryan100

Red face Lost a wheel today and live to tell about it!

This morning whilst turning left (about to merge onto the Interstate), my front left WHEEL tore off! 4 of the 5 lug studs are now shiney, smooth metal (no more threads) and the 5th was found, nut in place, lying in the hub cap.

The wheel passed under the fender (bending and removing paint) before rolling to a stop in the midst of the intersetction. I managed to steer the truck onto the curb/sidewalk and did not collide with anyone in the process... lucky, as when the wheel left the vehicle, the truck cut sharply to the left (like a u-turn) as the wheel arm hit the asphault.

Aside from the missing wheel and the bent up fender, which I think I can strighten, the other components seem relatively sound, except for some more shiney metal around the break housing. If I manage to get the thing towed home I will promptly replace the other lug studs.

Has anyone ever heard of weakness in this area? I found this to be rather strange. I've never removed the left wheel, so I can't say if the nuts where ever mis-threaded or anything, but still.... yikes!
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote