The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Brake Lines and Cribbage Pegs.

So, I haven't done much to my truck as of late. Aside from fill the gas tank, and check the fluids, she's been good to me.

Well, today after class let out, I drove from the college to a coffee shop where I hang out and such. Play music, read, talk, whatever. Regardless. Left the coffee shop, and was going to go back to school, and lo and behold, no brake pedal.

None at all.

I had always had squishy brakes, but this scared me.

After taking a few side streets, and weaseling my way through a few stop signs by loading the clutch, and turning off the ignition to stop, I finally made it to a gas station, and called my mom, who had just gotten off of work. Asked her to pick me up some brake fluid, and bring it to me.

Ended up being that the brake hose broke. Yeah, just, detached from the plate that it goes through to the brake line. So, stepped on the brakes, and all the brake fluid in the front reservoir just gushed out. The proportioning valve...appears to be stuck open. So, thats not exactley assisting in the manner.

I'm thinking to myself, how am I going to make it through town, which includes 3 sets of stop lights on the route I have to take, and get home, 12 miles away? Taping the hose back together isn't exactley an option. And I had limited tools. But, oh, look. My trusty cribbage board. (Yes, I carry a cribbage board and a deck of cards with me at all times.) And, what do ya know, a cribbage peg fits right into the protrouding end of the brake hose/line.

So, filled the master again, and the leaking was slowed substantially. Enough that I could make it home.

So, I now get to fix that little issue. Couldn't come at a worse possible time, but hey. Whatcha gonna do.

Just thought I'd share my fun little adventure with you all.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote