The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Finally found out some things (my site)

I tell you one thing, it sure does suck trying to talk to a live person at my hosting company. First some background. My site is hosted by http://www.featureprice.com I have the budget plan. You can see in the link, what it comes with and the cost.

No problem what so ever until everyone started downloading Eddie's videos, my bandwidth went south. This sucked bigtime. Here I am thinking everything is fine and bam. With them, you have free phone tech support on the budget plan, but you first have turn in a trouble ticket and wait for a reply before you can call. No problem. I guess this is fair. Don't take long to get a reply. But, and a big but, calling tech support is another experience.

I've never had so much trouble getting to talk to a tech at anything I've ever done. But tech support is easy. Trying to talk to the sales techs is nothing but a damn joke. You call the toll free number and wait of course. Then a recording comes on and tells you they are swamped (in other words), and to call back later. Well after two days of this crap, I made my mind up I was talking to someone or die trying. So, knowing I was off today, I started calling last night at around 11:00 pm my time. As quick as I was told to call back, I used speed dial to call back. I didn't keep track, but I think I did this 25 times in a row.

Finally, someone answered the damn phone. I asked how much bandwidth the budget plan comes with, since I seen no mention of it on their site. It comes with 10 gigs a month. My site must be using more than I thought. I guess the videos put it in overdrive for awhile. I said fine, how much is extra bandwidth. $2.00 a gig per month. Not going to happen.

So here is the thing. I'm staying with what I have now. The next plan up is the premium plan. It's $16.95 a month, with 25 gigs, 5000 megs of space, etc. You can see the extra things you get in the link. I'm not upgrading. It's totally stupid on my part. If I made anything off this, or made enough to pay for it, maybe. But, I'm not making a damn thing. Paying $9.95 a month, paid annually, plus $29.95 a year for my domain name registration at Network Solutions. All of this for what? Fun. This is all it's for, fun and something for me to play with. I love it, don't get me wrong. But at times, it is a pain in the arse.

I put a few banners and links on my site to try and make a few bucks in commissions to help overcome the expense. So far, it's nada. I never wanted any banners or ads, but damn. The links I have only pay me a small amount if and only if someone uses the link to go and buy something. It's not one of those click things to make money.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about this real strong. Right now, I don't think I will do anything. It really pisses me off when you can't even download a couple videos without shutting down the site. The web hosting thing is a big ass money racket. I need to figure out something to bring a little money in, instead of paying it all out.

I'll get off my soap box now. Just wanted to rant a little and let you know what I found out.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote