The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

72 GMC 4X4 help needed

-
Hi guys & gals,

I usually hang out on the 67-72 trucks board but I have a couple of 4X4 questions....

I looked at a '72 GMC 4x4 this morning and I really think I am going to buy it but I wanted to ask a couple of questions since I don't have any experience with 4X4's. I think there were two different axle types, Dana and Eaton, If so is one type more desirable than the other? Anything I should look closely at on the running gear? It has a rebuilt 350 with 5 miles on it and a rebuilt TH350 trans. He drove it from the shop to the storage unit.

The bodywork was professionally done and I know the guy that did it, so there is no problem there. The whole underside of the truck was professionally undercoated also. It is in a storage unit that is almost impossible to get into but there is nothing leaning against the truck. It is covered with a thick layer of dust so it is hard to see the color. It is painted Pewter with the lower portion charcoal.

The truck is only 17 miles from me and he said he would deliver it. Sorry I couldn't get any better pictures. He said if I was really interested we could drive it out of the unit so I could listen to it run and take a closer look at it. (stuff would have to be moved to do that) It is a really clean truck.

Here is an e-mail I got from the guy:

leon,

I left town for awhile today, sorry for the delay. The truck is a 1972 GMC 4x4 1/2 ton w/air. I started this truck being a frame off restoration. The frame has been bead blasted and finished with epoxy. It has new door skins, rockers, cab corners, floor pans and inner fender wells. The whole underside of the truck has been undercoated as well. It also has a new windshield and new sliding rear window. The motor has been completely rebuilt and I also put a matched intake, cam and lifter set along with a new carburator. It has a New 2-1/2" suspension lift and new aluminum wheels with new 33" tires. The front bumper is original and in good a shape, the back bumper is brand new. The only thing that is left is basically put the grill in place and install the lights. As far as the inside goes it has been painted but it also needs put back together. I do have new kick panels and door covers, I believe, some where. The fenders were original and in good shape & the hood looked brand new. The tailgate was in mint condition before it was painted, also. I would like to sell it at $4000.00 - $5000.00. Thanks.

Larry

I talked to him again and he said he would sell it to me for $4000 cash but wouldn't take any less.
I have no problem putting it back together so the only expense I would have would be for carpet, dash pad, seat cover, and some misc. stuff. The guy that did the body work said he knows for a fact that the owner has close to 8k in it with what he paid for the truck and the work he has had done to it. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Sorry for the long post...

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-14-2008 at 07:38 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote