The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
gman

need some steering gear help

Truck is a 72 K10, pwr steering, 350 motor. Original pwr steering assembly. Not aftermarket.

My gear was leaking fluid all over the place and had 3/4 of a turn freeplay in it. Scary.

So today I replaced the gear. Gear has the same part number as old. Drained all the fluid out of the pwr steering pump. Everything went together pretty easy. Took some time since I've never done a steering gear before. Put front end up on stands to turn wheel back and forth a couple times each way. Seemed to turn fairly easy. Took the truck off the jack stands.

Now the steering wheel will barely turn and moans something fierce when trying to turn it. Fluid in pwr steering pump is really foamy. When turning the wheels with the pwr steering pump cap off, I can see the fluid disappear and then return to normal level when the wheels are returned to straight.

Any ideas what is causing the extremely hard steering (next to impossible to turn it either way) and the incredible moaning when I just barely try to turn the steering wheel?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what to do now other than take it apart and then not sure waht to look for. should the fluid disappear like that when turning? I would think the return line would bring it back into the pwr steering pump just as fast as the pressure line sucks it out. But I'm just guessing.

Any ideas? Thanks.