The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
thefatguy

TH350 Pan Bolts on 1978 Big 10

Long time listener, first time caller here.

I did (or tried to do) a filter change this weekend on my 1978 Big 10 TH350. I've done two of these before, and each time I swore I would never do another one. But you know how it goes.

Anyway, taking the old drainplug-free pan off was a real pain. The rear-most two pan bolts are almost directly above the cross-member, making it impossible for me to get a wrench on them, even after a trip to the Craftsman Weird Tool aisle. So, I loosened the mounting bolts and jacked the rear of the trans up about an inch, and finally got a nutdriver with a flexible coil shaft on them, and off they came.

I reckoned that would work with putting them back in and snugging them down, but...not really. I simply can't get them snug enough. They are leaking very, very slightly, but it's enough to make me crazy. Especially after taking a bath in Type F. Yes, I did install a new pan with a drain plug. Funny thing -- all I could order from Auto Zone was a chrome one. I spray-painted it with wrinkle black.

So, my question is this : what's the best way to snug those durn things down? Another weird tool? Support the trans and remove the cross-piece? Telepathy? I'm sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it in the boards. Or maybe everybody knows the secret already. Anyway, I'm happy to go read a link if you have one.

One other silly question: what size bolts are required for the torque convertor dust cover? Mine was gone when I bought this beast 8 years ago for ranch duty (I'm taking my time on doing this), and I ordered one from AutoZone (same chrome deal on that, too).

And let me add, as a first-time caller, I've found this board to super helpful in keeping Old Ugly running for the last 8 years. It's got a 454 in it, and since it's a Big 10, no smog junk on it. I'm mainly doing this for funsies now, so I can have a nice big-@$$ V8 for my grandson to drive in 14 years. Point being, yall are an awesome bunch of gearheads to virtually hang out with.