The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Bad Question: How much is enough

Ok, before we even go there, I know, you can never have enough HP.

However, the role this truck will have is that of a street-able, occasional weekend drag run.

So, with that said, a little back ground info:

I am re-building, (for the second time) a truck my Dad bought new in 1970. A GM C1500 Custom (link in sig).

I found a SWEET deal on a 383. Forged crank, forged H-beam rods and a forged pistons, all the machine work done on an 89 roller, 4 bolt main truck block. I have a set of GMPP Fast Burn aluminum heads and a Vortec Air Gap intake I bought here on the board. Here's the problem: Compression ratio of this motor is 8.5:1 is perfect for forced induction and I started researching that path... which leads me to the question, how much is enough HP for a street/strip truck, that will never see a load in it's bed and be driven mostly on the street?

Right now, without the "hair dryers" I can be over 500hp with a new set of .30 over forged pistons, the right cam and a small nitrous plate. Not sure what it would be with the pistons I have.

With turbos, I can be easily at 900hp and pretty close to the max my block will support. (I can do a half fill to get me there).

Trans is a well built (1200hp) 700R4 and I am building a 9" rear with 4.11 or 4.56's. Stall needs to be street-able, so around 2900-3600 to match the cam that will go in this. I still need to buy the cam, which is dependent on the way I go... most say put a nitrous cam in, which will handle the turbos, but it's the pistons that's the issue. I want to do this once.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote