The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
WIDESIDE72

Barn find last weekend.This will get everyone riled up

I went to look at some 67-72 trucks at this old fella's place and they were all rusted beyond resemblance or wrecked. I pulled a few good parts, but thought I was about to leave empty handed. I had even taken my trailer, a battery and some gas thinking I might buy a complete truck. As I was leaving he says "Too bad you don't like Fords. I got a nice Mercury Comet in the barn." I went and looked at it and he said he bought it about 10 yrs ago as is. He said when he bought it he drained the gas tank to keep from ruining it. PRAISE THE LORD, PASS THE AMMUNITION!!! We put a battery and gas in it and drove around his driveway! What really blew my mind was when he reached over and turned the AC on and cold air came out!!! I did some research and the S-22 is a little more rare than the regular Comet. (sporty package, mostly trim, still has a 170 c.i. 6 cyl.) It is before Mercury came out with the Caliente with the V8. He said he decided to sell since he has never been able to find a fender at wrecking yards locally since cars this old are all gone (crushed). I don't think he has ever even heard of the internet. I almost asked him if he tried Hemmings books, and decided to keep my mouth shut (for once). I am looking for a fender, grille and possibly some bumpers and plan to sell it to finance my 72 truck build. I have already pulled the old bent parts since these pics and located several specialty yards in New Mexico and California who want around $500 shipped for the grille and fender. I bled the brakes and took it down the dead end road in front of my house. The odometer read 42,xxx, but judging by the scary noises coming from the front end, I would say 142,000. Sorry to get everybody all excited with expectations of a barn find 67-72 truck. I am not a "Ford guy" but could not pass it up. I have pics of it in his barn, but it is sorta anticlimactic, since it is a newer metal barn and has only be been thee about ten yrs. let the crucifixion begin! HAHA
Attached Images

WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote