The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which way should I go?
Keep the 82 and use the 86 for parts 17 73.91%
Keep the 86 and do all the rust repairs and sell the 82 1 4.35%
Sell the 86 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Robert8096

Opinion needed about build.

Looking for the opinion of the square body crowd, I have an 82 and an 86, both 2wd ½ ton pickups, one of them must go. In total I have 5 c10 trucks of different years and when it’s all said and done I want only two. My 69 is a keeper and going to be a frame off restore once my new garage is built which is about two to three years away. I have a 78 & 79 long bed, one is going to be used for parts for the 69 and the driveline of the other will go to either the 82 or 86.

The 86 is Silverado (grey/blue) is a nicely equipped truck with a 305/350 combo, dual exhaust with headers, she runs but has a bad transmission leak, minor dents, rust around the windshield frame, rusted cab corners and needs a major cleaning.

The 82 (red) is a Custom Deluxe base truck, (no A/C) with a non running 292 or 250 (haven’t really checked) and a turbo 350 transmission. It has gauges (no tach), minor rust in the hood and around the rear wheel openings. The body is nice and straight except for minor damage to the left front fender; it has new tires and a complete set of rally wheels. It also came with a complete rebuild kit for the engine and all the engine pieces are with the truck.

Right now I’m leaning towards the 82. I’m thinking that I will remove the front clip, bed rails, tilt column, intermittent wipers, some interior parts, power brake booster, headers and exhaust, and maybe the wheels from the 86 and put them on the 82. I will use the right fender from the 82.

I have also thought about just selling one of them and working on the other but I don’t think I can recover the money I paid for the 82 and the cost of the other parts I would need to get the truck the way I want it. On the 86 the rust issues around the front windshield is my major concern, plus the amount of time it will take for body work. That is why I’m looking at the 82, wrenching and wiring don’t really concern me it’s the body work I hate. I know that both will need it but the 82 will need less and be easier to get straight for paint.

I know everyone likes pictures so here you go. Thanks for your opinion.

Robert8096 is offline   Reply With Quote