The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Huck

Cool Edelbrock Carb idle issues

Over the years I have always seemed to have issues with the Edelbrock 1405 and 1406 carbs running too rich at idle. I've tried to adjust the mix screws, jets, etc. and no matter what I've tried, idle would load up over time. Now I'm not talking about one or two trucks or one or two carbs but maybe a dozen. Meet a couple of the Edelbrock factory reps today at the Pumpkin Run swap meet in Ohio. Both agreeded that the most probably and common cause is that the stock fuel pumps tend to put out between 5 and 9 lbs of fuel pressure which is too high for the Edelbrock carbs. They explained that their carb is really a redesign of the Carter Carb but that their design cannot handle more then 5 lbs of fuel pressure. They recommend putting a fuel pressure gauge and adjust fuel pressure to around 4.5 lbs which would probably require a fuel regulator. I will try to work that into my schedule in the next few days and let you all know the result. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote