The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
thefatguy

HEI Replacement on 69-ish 292

OK, so yesterday, after determining just what the heck kind of engine I've got in The Winter Project, I did a lot of reading, and it seems to be the general consensus that swapping out the original distributor (points-type) for an HEI unit of some sort is a smart thing to do. There's an excellent thread on the actual doing of the replacement that I've bookmarked, so I feel pretty well covered from that end.

However, I'm interested in recommendations on aftermarket suppliers for the HEI itself, rather than a rebuild or swap-over. I'm quite unsure on just where I'm going with this silly thing, but I know I want reliability over performance (today, anyway, and it is an I-6.) I know I'd like some kind of warranty, even if it's only 90 days, too.

So, if you've done this replacement using an aftermarket kit, I'd appreciate knowing how you feel about the brand you bought, and what you might do different if you did it again.