The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2003, 01:03 AM   #1
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

SM465 parts wanted

Anyone have a parts SM465 laying around? I'm looking for the threaded collar and retaining plate located on the output shaft. These pieces are only found on an SM465 out of a 4x4 and are discontinued through GM.

Also, after tearing mine down to do an overall general inspection before it goes into my truck, I noticed that the coating on the shift rails has just started to wear off in some places. No metal wear at all. I'm told that these were coated new to help prevent chatter but shouldn't affect it's ability to operate correctly. Anyone have any input or experience with this?

Also, after thoroghly inspecting everything on this trans, I notice that there is a small section of the rear casting that is missing at the rear output bearing opening. This is still well within the area that the adpater will cover and I see no reason for it to have any affect on the operation of this tranny (I will take pics and post them here tomorrow or the next day). I also noticed two small pieces of metal debris in the bottom of the case (about the size of the tip of a pencil). I have looked over every gear and syncro, shafts included, and everything looks great. No wear, no unusuall marks, it all looks great and everything rotates with ease. Has anyone else opened a tranny or differential case to find small metal debris but had no ill affect because of it? Just trying to be cautious before I stuff this heavy MOFO into my truck. I don't feel like pulling it out anytime soon after I install it.

Thanks for your thoughts...............
Rob

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Last edited by Pont; 02-19-2003 at 01:37 AM.
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote