The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
drummin89

power brakes and dual master cylinder plumbing

I'm preparing to install a firewall mounted pedal assembly with a power booster and dual master cylinder in my 52. I got the booster and master cylinder out of a 99-02 Chevy Silverado (base model truck) and bought the pedal assembly (pirate jacks) from Carolina Classic Trucks.

Anyways I read on their website that when running drum brakes (all around) you need a 10lb residual pressure valve on the line going to the front and going to the back. I also read that its best to put them as close as possible to the master cylinder. I'm planning to follow a tech-tip on the stovebolt about installing a dual master cylinder as far as line sizes, But because I'm mounting the m/c on the firewall and can't leave well enough alone, im going to flip the line to the rear from the passenger side of the frame, to the drivers. All else will be about the same.

My question in all of this is about the residual valves. The residual valves have a 1/8" inlet and outlet, so I imagine I just use a reducer fitting to go from 1/4" down to 1/8"? So the line coming out of the m/c will be 1/4", which then goes to a reducer fitting that goes from 1/4" to 1/8" into the residual valve, then out to another reducer fitting that brings the line from 1/8" back to 1/4" which then goes a tee that splits the line down to 2 3/16" lines to the rear or front drums.

Correct?

I was also told I do not need the 10lb residual pressure valves because the master cylinder is above the brake cylinders. I thought that only pertained to a disc brake setup where the m/c was on the frame and the fluid could siphon back to the m/c if it was almost level with or lower than the calipers.

this is the tech-tip on the stovebolt
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ma...der/index.html
-Clifford 2/4bbl Aluminum Intake and Headers
-1/2 ton front axle swap w/ 5lug disc brake kit
-CPP Power Steering Kit

Various pictures of my 52 Chevy 3600

Last edited by drummin89; 10-28-2008 at 11:13 AM.
drummin89 is offline   Reply With Quote