The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
Super73

Rear Ends.. 60-72

Ok, I think the is a lot of info on this site regards to widths, what came with 5 or 6 lug ect. One thing people should be aware of though is certain years have the backing plates welded to the axle. Why is this an issue?

I went to drop my rear off and get the 4.56's installed. I was planning on running C-clip eliminators and the axles that are in it for now along with the posi unit. Well, since the backing plate doesn't bolt to the axle tubes, the next idea was to go with a 9" end. But that would require new axles do to the ID of the bearing. What went from a $160 addition to my work that was being done for the c-clip e's, now was looking like $90 for the ends, $315-330 for the axles and labor to cut the rear and weld them on another $175.

Lucky for me, the had a truck 12 bolt sitting there. It happened to have c-clip e's and moser axles. There how ever was an issue regarding the Pan Hard bar. It connects to the rear just above the rear cover where mine has a bracket welded to the passanger tube. Second issue is the rear was an overal 1" wider than mine.

They said they will take the ends off the other housing and put them on mine. Also since I am going with the C-clip e's, they can take a little off the end of the splined section to get my overal width to be the same.

So what was going to be a $200 set up and $160 for c-clip e's turned out to be $525.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote