The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs up Road trip from Ohio to chicago.... through my eyes.

ok... it's no secret... I like road trips. I'll jump in the truck and burn up a tank of gas for no reason at all sometimes. The kind that include other board members, and actually have a destination are even better though.
This one starts off a week or two ago, fine69 (we'll call him Mike from here on out) calls and says he has a trip to take to go get his old truck. I call him back after checking my schedule (becouse I am such a buisy and wanted person*you did pick up on the sarcasm....right?*) and confirmed the date.... so then, it was GAME ON!!!!
So, what does a road trip take... well, this one takes two dudes.... Mike;

And myself;

(i'm the good lookin one)
Also needed, was a truck and a trailer;

Both borrowed off a couple of mike's friends.
The truck is a 97ish c/3500 4X4 daulie extended cab work truck. lotsa miles, lotsa trash inside, but enough room for me him, and a cooler full of ice and mountain dew. (there's 2 dew addicts on this trip)
The wagon is nothing special, just a flat bed that had a brake light out.
And... a destination and a goal.
Destination ... urbana to chicago and back on thursday... and I gotta be to work friday morning.
The goal, to make it there and back, without having anything fall off the trailer.
9 PM on wedensday, I fill up the burb, toss a couple items in the burb that I've been wanting to get to Mike, and head west.

I get to his place, and he's got the truck and trailer, but no tail lights on the wagon.

A quick trip to his favorite wall mart, and a $27 dollar conversion plug and play harness... and we have SOME lights. Turns out the cheap craptastic tail lights REFUSE to make contact on the right turn signal, which doubles as the brake. We mess with it for a tic, it lights up, and we agree it's good enough.
More on that later.
Go inside, BS about everything under the sun, then crash for 4 hrs.
Then we hit the road.
50-ish miles into it, we pull over, and I take the wheel.

Notice the little patch of straw on the trailer. We hadn't noticed it yet...
So now it's my turn to drive... hold onto your ass!
Actually, I take it easy... set the cruise control for 65 and we head out. I notice the small block isn't quite as strong as I'd like... but it got diesel type MPG, so we aren't complaining. Even at just a hair over 2 bucks a gallon, it's still a $60 tank. Has the typical crappy brakes we've all come to know and complain about on this generation truck... but, for the best part, they slow me down when i want, and stop me clost to where I wanted them to stop me.
We stop at a wall mart, becouse there's more chicks there than at the gas station, and the truck stop chicks... well, we won't go there.
I guess mike DID have a good point... the rest rooms there were fairly clean-ish, and only smelled a little like dead cat.
But what's up with this sticky straw?
Uhhhh mike... I wouldn't stick my finger too far in there if I were you...

Get back in the truck, cruise some more.
So far, the ride has been 100% trouble free. Well, Mike couldn't get the seat to go back far enough... otherwise, no trouble.
Then I see this...

It's almost like they KNEW I was coming! They put up a longhorn sign just for me.
Stay tuned for more insantity

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 11-02-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote