The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
shaggy357

New to board, not new to trucks, need Brakes

I found this board yesterday when searching for some parts for my 72. Wish I would have found it earlier this year before I sold my 69 step side. I would have rather it went to someone on the board.

Anyway, I have a 72 C/10 4x4 350/350. I haven't driven it in a few years so I took it out and cleaned on it a little. I went for my first ride in a long time and I could smell something. Stopped at local auto parts store and picked up new belts and air filter. Got home to install and found my left hub got hot. I dropped it off at a local mom/pop shop to check out the brakes for me. (faster than pulling out my compressor and all of my tools.) They feel it needs rotors, calipers, hoses on the front and drums/pads on the back. I checked local prices and now understand why they wanted $1300 to do a 4-corner brake job. I put on $221.00 in parts and two hours of my time to put on custom rotors and new pads on all 4 corners of my Acura. Why are Chevy parts so expensive??

OK, now to nitty gritty. Front rotors. Pull hub and press on new rotor, or just buy the whole assembly with rotor already pressed on the hub? Is there a detail instruction (with photos) on the internet that shows bearing assembly, packing, adjustment, hub intallation, etc? I am getting ready to move and all of my old manuals are buried somewhere in a 10x20 storage unit. If I am to do this, I will have to do myself to save some $$s. I want to get all of the brake parts, bearings, seals, etc so I can build the whole thing and be done. Do they still make rebuild kits for the calipers or do I need to buy new calipers also? Where is the best place to get good parts. Don't say NAPA because I wont go there. LMC trucks? others? I checked local yards and no one has anything better than what I already have.

Back drums and pads are no problem. I am worried about rebuilding the front disc brakes correctly. Any help will be appreciated. Please send me an email or reply below.

Steve
shaggy357 is offline   Reply With Quote