The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Six cylinder distributor: Points vs HEI

Lately I've been reading where a lot of you strongly recommend HEI distributors on these old trucks so I'm starting a one month test on my 68 GMC six cylinder 250 with single barrel carb.

Now, I'm very familiar with HEI's since my 69 with 350 has one on it and of course most of the vehicles I've owned in the last 30 have had them. But, I had read some 15 plus years ago in some old cars magazine that there wasn't much to gain on a stock six banger with single barrel by converting it, so I decided to test it myself. I went to a local salvage yard and picked up an HEI with the integrated coil and vacuum advance on it.

Here's my plan: Since I don't have anyway to measure horesepower I will monitor the gas mileage and daily operation and report back.

If I notice a tremendous change in operation and gas mileage right away I will let you know.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote