The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Big Al 77

To bag or not to bag

I need some good advice. I have a 68 shortstep that has been dropped 4" in the back with blocks and has had the springs cut down about the same distance in the front. I have been trying to figure out how I want to go about fixing my suspension up but don't know enough about the advantages and disadvantages of each method to make a good decision.

My first inclination was to go with some 2 or 2.5 inch drop spindles in the front along with some springs to get me down to 4" or so total. In the back I would just get some springs to bring it down 6". I was also thinking that at the same time I would switch out to 5 lug hubs and disc brakes. But I might not be able to afford all of that at once and didn't know how much of that I could do at once (for example, if I want to keep my 6 lug hubs but put in drop spindles would it make sense to not put on any disc brakes until I swap out the hubs?).

As I started to look at wheels and tires and how they all affect the final stance, I started to wonder if my 6/4 drop was the best way to go, especially since I will probably drop some decent money on some 18" rims and some good tires. I would hate to spend a bunch of money on wheels and tires and not have the rake and stance not look just the way I want it. So I started to look at bagging the truck. I don't know much about bagging at all. The springs and drop spindles are fairly straight forward, but bagging is a whole new world to me. What additional equipment needs to be purchased for bags as opposed to spindles and springs. Upper and lower arms? Air system? Computer??? Is bagging the way to go, or is this going to be cost prohibitive for me? I see that the one big advantage would be that I could dial in that perfect stance and rake.

Anyway, anybody with any advice, technical information, horror stories, or anything else would be much appreciated.
Big Al 77 is offline   Reply With Quote