The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
kylepatrick03

Starter Question

Just curious of anyone has come across this as well, Just got my 69 project, and it has a 350 in it. I have a 4.8 vortech in the shop that will be going into it eventually, but thought I'd run a compression test on 350 for future buyers, as well as tell me how long I can run on the 350 etc. Just my luck on cylinder #2 the starter goes out. Ran down to Autzone, and picked up the starter, and as luck would have it, it didn't fit. Took it back and they looked it up again and said it was right, I had them grab the core, and it was different, the one they were trying to sell me had a 1" lip/spacer on one of the bolts, off setting it from the housing, and the bolts didn't line up. I googled the Delco # off my core from my cell phone (since auto parts stores can't seem to lookup part #'s anymore) and found a lot of listings for that part number being used in 69 camaro 396 motors, told the guy I wanted the starter for the 69' Camaro with the 396, and sure enough, it had same bolt pattern, was essentially the same, and fit fine. The autozone guy was now trying to convince me I must have a Big Block 396 instead of a sbc 350. <sigh>.... I'm obviously not 100% sure its the orignal motor, but everything else on the truck has been original this far, I am for sure its not a big block though.

Anyway, anyone else have problems getting a starter from the parts stores?
kylepatrick03 is offline   Reply With Quote