The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
grancuda

Swap frame/body or sell & buy 4x4

I am considering getting a 4x4 instead of a 2wd. I a really like my truck but wish it were a 4wd. It is currently a 83k mile '72 GMC LWB 250 I6 w/ 3 speed on the tree. It has had 1 repaint and it needs cab corners and the front lower fenders cut out due to rust, other than that it is rust free. I am debating on buying a cheap rough 4x4 and swapping my body onto it. What problems would I encounter, I know I will have to cut out my center hump and set it up to accept the bolt in high hump style. Would I need to stick with certain years since my truck is a '72? I know probably the logical thing to do is just sell this one and buy a 4x4 but I don't see me selling this truck and finding another as clean for the money. I bought this truck for $3500 a little over a year ago and I don't think I could sell it and buy a 4x4 without having to come up with quite a bit of cash. I was going to invest some money in buying some wheels/tires for it but I may put that off till I decide what to do. Anyone else done this? I was also planning on a V8 conversion for mine as it is a 250 6 cyl right now so maybe I could find a 4x4 with a decent motor and but rough body.

grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote