The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
tinlid

Vendor Preferences

Most of all builds I have done are on pre 40 cars. Now, its time to do some work on my daily driver. Talking to a few local truck guys all I have heard so far is about ill fitting parts. Windshield rubbers that don't fit, doors not lining up on detail lines, fuzzies that leave gaps, etc. For example, I have followed a few threads on gas tank swaps and I have seen some good information on dealer/vendors and feel more qualified to make a decision as to whom to get a new under tank from. Magazines that show modifications never talk about problems or state that the part is crap. So, who do you guys like for parts and why?

My 70 C10 was purchased from a neighbor 3 years ago. He bought it as a 2nd owner in 1971. It had been hit on the drivers door and front fender and the guy wanted it gone. So it's been down the street forever and I constantly told Lee that I wanted 1st chance at buying it when he ever decided to sell. Three years ago I saw his son putting a for sale sign in it and told him that his Dad had agreed I had 1st shot at it. Lee's health had failed and he could no longer drive. Larry said he had a few guys interested at work but he would let me have it for $700. Took about 10 minutes to hit the bank. It has 76,000 original miles on it. Lee believed you had to have a truck if you owned a house but seldom drove it. He took the bus to work.

The bottom of the drivers fender, door and rocker need replaced. Outside of that, there are some bare metal/surface rust spots on the drivers side. I did change the wheels to rally (vette aftermarket type 6 hole) and rally caps. Aluminum tape covers the bad rocker for now. I think its time to do some work, repair the body damage, replace rubbers, etc, lower, discs, ditch the running boards, etc.

This will be a build the way I did it in high school. Work on it on the weekend, drive during the week. But my weekends are long as I am semi retired.

Thanks for any information/suggestions.

Last edited by tinlid; 01-10-2009 at 05:32 PM.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote