The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
evilways

Hard to start with a backfire out the carb.

Sorry this will take a few to explain, so bear with me.

If my truck sits a day or more, it is very hard to start. I basically have to keep pumping till is starts to fire. It will then backfire out the carb. and I will have to do it a couple more times before I get it to actually run ok.
I have been doing this the past few times thinking it just cold out and she don't want to go. Well tonight I did the task and got her running, but noticed a popping sound from the #8 cyl. So I pulled the spark plug and it was solid black. I cleaned it and she fired up and no noise.

So questions?
1. The carb. is an old Quadrajet. But it does fine when it is warm, does cold play a big part for the carb?

2. My fuel line drains back after shut down, is my fuel pump dying?

3. Since I can't figure out my wiring on my alternator, it is basically ran one wire style and does not excite until RPM's, is my HEI not getting enough power to spark the fuel during crank since the alt. is not charging?

Thanks,
Evil
evilways is offline   Reply With Quote