The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Road warriors

We have a lot of nice 73-87 trucks on here, some of them award-winning. But what I wanna see...are the trucks that have been around more than just the block, but the country.

What's the longest trip you've done in your truck? I think a good basis is 500 miles one way, preferably longer. Sure, some people may rack up a 1,000 miles a week for work in extreme cases, but at the end of the day they're back at home and can keep an eye on their rig. Back at base, with all their tools and support and parts stores, perhaps a spare vehicle or a friend to help get parts.

But...when reliablity and dependability counts, when you're 500, 1,000, or even more miles away from home, all you have is your truck and the tools you may have with you. So, who here has a proven ride? Who takes their truck on regular jaunts across the country? Show 'em off.

The longest trip I took in my truck, without being home to go over my truck and make sure everything was okay, change the oil, etc. was around 3,500-4,000 miles back in February-March over the span of 7 days.

It included going from Toledo, Ohio to Atlanta, Georgia, back to Toledo, over to Philadelphia (with a quick trip to see the ocean at Atlantic City, Jersey), down to Elon, North Carolina, up to Columbus, Ohio, then back to home. There was a lot of hard driving, lot of it over 75-80mph and often times through the mountains. From snow to 60 degree weather; from long highways to cramped one way Philly streets; 11 states in 7 days.

This is mine.

On a camping trip to New Hampshire back in June. Over 900 miles one way...much of it through God-awful hilly state routes, country roads and steep highways. Great for motorcycles, not for my truck. I was glad to finally hit the highway and get on back home. New York was one of the worst states I've ever had the displeasure of driving. Perhaps it was the $4.35 a gallon gas and ridiculous tolls.
D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote