The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

A life long dream coming true tomorrow!

Back about 1994 when I was 13 years old my dad bought a truck, it was a 83 Chevrolet Crew Cab Dually K-30 silverado, with a 454, 4 speed manual, painted powder blue with a royal blue stripe. I loved that truck. He ran it for a year and a half, and blew the engine, but the body was super clean. I mean it didnt have a dent on it. Power windows and locks all worked good, and the dash had not been cut, so I knew I could mount a stereo my way in it.

I begged and pleaded with my dad to sell me the truck, told him how bad I wanted it, but he would always refuse. So the truck became an inhabitant of our front yard for the next 2 years. There it sat, and there it rotted, the sun cracked out the dash that was perfect, faded out the door panels, and ate up the tires.

Finally Dad got a new engine put in it, and haded the truck to one of his guys to use. The guy he put in the truck rode it hard, put it away wet, tore the truck right up and did a ton of damage to the body, cracked out the dually fenders, put a huge dent in the hood, and made a mess of the inside. Finally he blew the motor that was in it after not changing the oil for 20,000 miles.

So as it were, my father then sold the truck, and even though I had offered to pay him more for it than the guy he sold it to, he still got rid of it anyways. This was 1999. So fast forward to 2003, I had just got out of the Navy, and I was over in Belgrade dropping off a truck for my dad at a mechanics shop that he uses, and there it was, that 83 crew cab.

The guy my dad had sold it to was in the concrete business, he stuffed another engine in it and had a bunch of yahoos driving it who totally demolished the truck, the drivers side door had been changed to a red one, the once perfect tail gate had more of a twist to it than Bill Clinton trying to explain how he didn't get it on with a girl, and the poor thing was just hammered.

It has always been one of those things that over the years has always bothered me, and well I have still always wanted one of those trucks. Well as it were, tomorrow morning I am flying up to Houston in a friends airplane to pick mine up!

It is a 85 Chevy C-30. It has a 454 and a TH400, I have all the parts coming to swap out a 454 and a NV4500 into it! As well probably going to have a set of buckets out of a 95 Chevy truck, that are red to match the interior. I am going to clean up the interior, repaint it all red, throw new carpet in it, and install a Dakota Digital Dash in it so as that I can use the factory speed sensor on the NV4500.

I also have a set of Alcoa aluminum wheels off of my 72 Dually that are going to find their way onto it, along with a set of fresh rubber.

I figure get all that done, upgrade to a Serpentine Drive Kit for the accessories, and Get a good stereo in it, and I will have myself one big bad highway hauler.

Other goodies on the wish list include wanting to put Air Ride Suspension on it, and a set of MKW Wheels.

Going to be a good amount of work, but I think well worth it in the end. Eventually I would like to have a 502 ramjet in it, but that is going to be a while. Before I do anything like that I am going to get it all painted and cleaned up.

Tomorrow if everything goes right, I will have lots of pics to post, and as I get crackin, I will get a build thread going here.

Last edited by MrBeast; 12-08-2008 at 10:14 PM.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote