The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
asphaltburner

Frankentruck

Yo!
Got my '78 3/4 ton 4x4 FRANKENTRUCK back today from the only other mechanic I'd entrust anything to, Bill Warren in Galeton, Colorado! 14.5 hours worth of work and $1200 later, the brakes, bearings, and steering are finished and functioning like a brand new truck. Glad I didn't attempt it myself! Without a heated garage, and the amount of work necessary, it would've taken me a month to bring the '73 axles and steering back to new condition. The truck brakes and steers smooth and straight now.
The front is a '73 Dana 44 with Warn locking hubs and the rear is a '73 5560 lb rated 14 bolt full floating GM axle, both with 4.11:1 gears. The axles came from a 1973 donor 3/4 ton 4x4 flatbed.
FRANKENTRUCKs TH400 and machined, twin-stick NP205, transfer the 350hp/411ft lb torque from the 9.2:1 compression 350V8 that I built for it QUITE nicely!
The cow-pasture truck (origonally) is now entirely functional except for the pegged fuel gauge that is obviously showing an open circuit, and I'll troubleshoot it later when the weather permits me to work in one of my unheated garages.
It has taken me since January last to finally achieve this goal, but it's been worth it! I now have an essentially new 3/4 ton 4x4 P/U truck (except for some bodywork and paint) and have only about $8000 total into it. It even has some entirely unique abilities (such as front wheel drive capability) that few trucks do. Now it's insured, registered, and plated to terrorize the roads (and off-roads) of Colorado!
I REALLY want to thank all of the folks on this forum and the other great sources that I've depended on to help me with this huge project. 67-72 chevytrucks.com, offroaddesign.com, LMC truck, and Classic Industries are of particular mention.

Name:  110208 001 (Custom).jpg
Views: 235
Size:  93.8 KB

This is one magnificent truck. Thank you, Todd.