The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Ebay: 1970 Chevrolet Blazer K-5

This is a once in a lifetime buy, this thing is nice!

LINYK

Description:

This 1970 K-5 Chevrolet Blazer was purchased 9/1/00 from the original owner, Reese Gandoff of Fallon, Nevada, who signed an affidavit stating the true mileage at that time to be 39,300 miles. Mr. Gandoff ordered the vehicle from GM specifically to deliver mail in the mountains of western Nevada. His custom order included no rear seat (for additional mail carrying capacity), a heavy-duty radiator (to keep cool pulling mountain grades), and rear positration (for snowy mountain roads). The vehicle remains true to its original form with the original top (that has never been removed), glass, bumpers, doors, grill, chrome, rims etc.--I even have the original headlamps, and they still work!

Since purchasing the vehicle, I have tried to preserve its original condition while maintaining it as a dependable daily driver. The body is in remarkable condition due to the climate of western Nevada. It is painted the original color (Chevy medium green), is rust-free and straight without any body filler. The seats have been re-upholstered to their original condition, the interior treated with Diamond-Liner and the undercarriage undercoated. The dashboard is original--the vinyl portion has a “crack” that is common in these vehicles due to the expansion/contraction associated with the sun’s heat passing thru the windshield. All gauges work, as well as the other electrical components including headlamps, dimmer switch, marker lights, turn signals, wipers, heater blower, radio, interior lamp etc. The steering wheel is also original and also has the cracking typical of the material used in these vehicles.

This K-5 has the original 307 (with four-bolt main), double barrel Rochester carburetor, three on the tree, and four-wheel drive with lock out hubs. In 2001 the #5 exhaust valve seat began to affect engine compression. As a result, I pulled the engine, meticulously restoring it back to its original condition. The cylinder head work included new seats, guides, springs, valves, push rods, rocker arms, pivot balls and nuts, resurfacing the mounting surfaces, and magnufluxing the intake manifold. With the engine out, I replaced the clutch, resurfaced the flywheel, flipped the ring gear, replaced the throw-out bearing, the camshaft, lifters, timing gears and chain (with double rollers), oil pump, distributer cap, rotor, thermostat, upper radiator hose, heater hoses, spark plugs and wires, exhaust pipes and mufflers (with aluminum), water pump, starter and starter solenoid. In addition, I examined the crankshaft, piston rings, main and rod bearings; and found them all to be in excellent condition (the vehicle had less than 50 thousand miles at the time). A new set of the original sized tires were also mounted (Cooper AT 235/75/15). Some of these repairs involve parts that are still under warranty and I have all of the receipts and paperwork for the work that I have done in my eight years of ownership.

Since purchasing the vehicle, I have driven less than 28,700 miles, bringing the total to less than 68,000 original miles! It runs and drives just as I imagine it did in 1970 when it was purchased by Mr. Gandoff. In terms of flaws, the vehicle has two scratches: one on the driver’s side door and one on the tailgate. Both scratches did not penetrate the primer, are free from rust, and ultimately will disappear when the vehicle is painted in the future.

In conclusion, this is truly a one of a kind find. The serious collector will immediately appreciate the unique value of this K-5 Blazer associated with coming from a climate as arid as Nevada’s. There simply are not many like this one left.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote